Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Beginning

I'm a 32 year old wife and mother of two seriously amazing girls. When conceiving our children, we too had challenges to face and, in the process, became part of a supportive group of women who all have dealt with infertility in one way or another. Over the course of almost 4 years, many of us have become good friends and talk almost daily. Through this network, I was connected with K and M's blog.

My husband and I had joked around often that I was made to birth babies and that it should be my job. My pregnancies don't keep me down, my labor and deliveries are super fast (4 hours the first time. 2 hours the second.), and I tend to bounce back pretty well after birth. When I became aware of this couple who needed help, it seemed logical that I would ask to help them. My husband and I talked about it, thought about it for a while, and a few days later, with shakey hands, I sent a reply to M&K letting them know that I wanted to help.

At first I thought maybe they hadn't gotten my message or that they hadn't picked me, but after a while an email popped into my inbox from K. Yes they were interested and they wanted to know more about me. We emailed back and forth for a while and then agreed to talk over the phone. The night that we were to speak for the first time, I got a call from my mother telling me that my father had been killed in a terrible accident. Once I got over the shock, I decided that I would still go through with the phone call. It lifted my spirits to talk with this couple. I learned about how amazing they are, always helping others, visiting orphanages in Ethiopia, traveling, and loving each other. I learned about their family and more about the details of the surrogacy.

When I got off the phone, I was feeling very nervous about it, but still felt compelled to give this couple a baby. They would be amazing parents and this child, no doubt, would be so loved and raised in a way that would create another amazing person. The decision had been made. We were going to do this.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know your father was killed in an accident. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I know your from the Nesties Board and I didn't ever hear of the accident but my condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and I love to hear alternative view points. That's the spice of life! However... please know that if your comment is in any way (1)derogatory toward the intended parents, (2)lacks common courtesy/tact, or (3)provides an uneducated stance it will be moderated. Difference of opinion is fine. Stupidity, not so much. Positivity - it does a body good! :)